Sunday 17 May 2009

Week Five - 17/5/09: Glaramara Fell Race. Short and sweet...

Distance - 5 miles
Ascent - 2100'
Route - straight up and down again from Borrowdale

My time - 70 mins - ish
Position - 33/60 (55%) - not so good....but have list of excuses (sniff...)


PHOTO: Glaramara from the start (summit at very back on the left...)

What was it like?

Lovely! Really needed that.

Not a great run though. I lost a contact lens at the start, which meant descending was virtually impossible at pace. Also, am not too well and full of cold and completely lost my voice. Also wore some old shoes and realised that they need to be consigned to training runs only - no grip at all. So all in all, lots of excuses for a poor run, and a poor race it was from a performance point of view. Truth is, i was in 2nd gear all the way - having a cold means you never really get going.

But i loved it. Lots of stuff in my head (including plenty of snot) and I needed a reason to get away. I'm quite proud of the fact that I drove so far to ensure i maintained my race per week plan!

The view north (see photo) was just stunning too - and even better, i missed the rain by 10 mins!

I also enjoyed the atmosphere of this small race - nice people, lots of chatter (I didn;t know anyone but lots of friendly faces) and a chance to enjoy the sport. Races like this are the true grass roots - seeing the elite (Rob Jebb won) and the likes of me sharing a post race brew with families, dogs, organisers and locals.

I hope a few more like this feature in my race per week journey. It's been a tough few days and weeks, so i need to reconnect to my roots - something that races like this in the Lakes (nowhere else compares for me) can do...

[Next week it's a return to the Carneddau - the Carneddau fellrace - 9M, 4000' ascent/descent - hope the weather is better than Foel Fras which is about 2 miles away from this...]

No comments:

Post a Comment