Sunday 10 May 2009

Week Four - 9/5/09: Foel Fras. Brrrr...!


Distance - 13.5 miles
Ascent - 3200'
Route HERE


My time - 2:30:12
Position - 33/84 (39%) - lots of non finishers, about a quarter of the field!

What was it like?

It was wet and cold, well for half an hour it was. And that was enough to make it something of an epic. Whilst a spring day greeted us in the valley, with some light showers and blue patches causing all sorts of wardrobe faffs before the race was started, the tops were a hideous place to be. Not that we knew...


Setting off from Aber up that steep and horrible tarmac was OK, but as we rapidly gained height to Drum, it was clear that the freezing gales and driving rain were not going to make it easy. Nick Holmes was pushing me hard and passed me on the desperate climb up Foel Fras when i was sticking a gel in as the conditions got worse and worse. My pertex kept some of the rain out, but not the cold.

I decided to try and hang on to Nick by keeping him in sight. As we topped out on Foel Fras, the wind was just horrendous and the run to Carnedd Uchaf was straight into the teeth of the gale. Now I can usually do tough conditions but i felt awful as I ran. My eyelids were swelling up and I felt faint. I kept going and wondered if there was something wrong with me. Uchaf, and a man with a camera awaited (see photos!).

I must confess that I herded a bit. A look at the map before I started showed that I needed to take a 300 degree bearing from Uchaf to take the best line off. I knew it might be misty and that it is confusing up there but i followed a local Eryri vest instead of navigating. Before long, i met with Nick and a group of a dozen lost looking runners. I realised my stupidity and took out the compass and ran on my bearing, aiming slightly left of that so we would get back on line. I felt like the Pied Piper as the group followed and didn't overtake. I didn't mind but thought that they would all pass me as soon as we were back on line. We plodded on and stopped a couple of times to check the line as we plodded around Drosgyl on the wrong side of the ridge before getting back on line below Wnion.

Most people had given up racing then and were just getting around, but Nick and I were still racing each other and I was still feeling good - better than at the start actually. I decided to push hard and race some people I could see ahead. This was great as we were now below the cloud base and the way was clear. Much like the three peaks, my late race stamina was good and I made up three more places and held off a few challenges to finish strongly.

All in all, I loved it. It wasn't a good time because of the detour, but fellracing is not just about fitness and strength. It's about toughing it out when sometimes when it's grim. I'm annoyed I got lost, but it does happen to everyone. When i heard about some really fit and fast guys going 180 degrees the wrong way and sacking the race, i know that it was a day to write off to experience and to use as progress towards getting fitter and stronger. Interestingly, at least 3 others (including Nick) said they felt iffy and couldn't see during the nasty headwind at the top - quite odd as all were experienced fellrunners...

I'm keeping my eye on Nick though, he'll be out for revenge....

(Photos care of Alistair Tye)

No comments:

Post a Comment