Saturday 9 May 2009

Week Two - 25/4/09: Yorkshire 3 Peaks


Distance - 24 miles
Ascent - 5000 feet

My time - 4:14:53
Position - 218/689 (31%)

What was it like?

My favourite race has lost none of its charm despite swollen numbers - a feat the organisers should be congratulated for. I love the three peaks - partially because it's a grand old race over a fine course with lots of support and atmosphere, and partially because this part of Yorkshire is where it all started for me. This was the setting for a fateful Easter weekend in 1987 aged 14 with Venture Scouts which introduced me to the hills and started this lifelong love affair. I remember seeing Penyghent for the first time after coming over Fountains Fell and being amazed that Britain had places like this (I am a city, council estate lad all told).

This part of the world means a lot to me.

That's all fine and dandy, but this course does not provide sentiment - if you're not fit, it'll find you out! This was my preoccupation on a warm Saturday morning as I drive from Ingleton Youth Hostel to the start. Usually, I'm very prepared for this. Two years ago, I ran a fantastic race as part of my Bob Graham Round preparation and clocked 3:53. For an honest midpacker like me, that's a fine time. My previous outings were 4:17 and 4:46 and I hoped to get something around 4:30 - a respectable time.



(Photo purchased from Sleepmonsters - legally incase anyone wonders)

I did not start well. I was nervous, lungs were screming on the way up Penyghent. I was already 5 mins slower up there than I was 2 years ago and feared a grind...

Oddly, once Penyghent was out the way, I rallied. Each step almost seemed easier than the last and I started passing people. Save for the climb up Whernside where I took on gels and drinks and faffed a bit, I passed people all day. I made up 139 places from the summit of Whernside until the end, including a very satisfying 28 on the last long decent from Ingleborough. Amazingly, my splits for the ascent and descent of Ingleborough was as quick as my terrific run two years ago - stamina does not seem to be a problem.

Often, that final descent from Ingleborough results in cramped calves as tired runners try and pick their way through that uneven limestone (see image above of me descending towards the end with Penyghent of recent memory in the distance). It's a 6 mile descent that can make or break your race, and I have had some tough times here in the past. Fearing this with a currently low level of fitness, I decided to buy some Skins calf stockings which look a bit silly but they didn't half do the trick as i sped down to the finish. The new Innovate Rocklite 315s also showed themselves to be the perfect PPP shoe, with both grip for the fells and cushioning for the trails.

Given the lack of training, I was delighted with my time and run. It was my second fastest run on this course. Only my pre-BGR fitness has provided a faster run and I was training every day then and running well. This run was good going off 2 runs a week.

Perhaps this course likes me as much as I like it - some sentiment there after all?!

No comments:

Post a Comment